Tuesday, August 27, 2013

McLobster at McDonald's review


In High School, Food and Nutrition class, my teacher told me about her trip to Nova Scotia, about how the McDonald's there served Lobster wraps for only a Canadian dollar! As a lobster fan, I have always thought about visiting Nova Scotia during their lobster season so I can try all these types of lobsters she talked about.

A few years later, turns out those "McLobsters" have made their way to Toronto! I was very excited, I mean... how often can you tell someone "I'm eating lobsters in McDonald's" ? Exactly, hardly... if any luck. Unfortunately, they did not cost a dollar... more like... 7 of those dollars and 67 cents.


I was definitely impressed with the freshness and the "meatiness" of the lobster. I didn't get to watch the TV commercial before hand so I didn't know what to expect. Turns out it was a Lobster salad bistro. With that being said, since salads are served cold, the lobster was cold. I was definitely impressed by the amount of lobster they had, there were main parts of the lobster; they mainly had claw/clamps (?) and tails, I really appreciated how they "chopped" the lobsters to the right size so that we are able to recognize which body part of the lobster  we are eating. This is very important, I want to know which part of the lobster I am chewing on. This also helps us taste the "juiciness" of the meat.

The salad composed of 100% Atlantic lobster meat and a lemon mayonnaise type sauce with celery, green onions and shredded lettuce. I wished they would tone down on the ingredients and focus more on enhancing the lobster, the celery and green onions kind of "stole" the lobster fresh taste.

I find the price for a McLobster quite high for 2 reasons: 1. this is McDonald's 2. there wasn't enough lobster or ingredients to be charging that much.

I look forward to more McLobsters and different types of McLobsters next year! I do hope they will be introducing different kinds of lobster "meals" and new pricing to attract more people. I also hope they will have better quality control over their food, with reference to the 2 McLobsters photos I took, you can tell that the serving size was not equal.

Overall speaking I thought this McLobster was well made... however, I feel it will be very beneficial if they were able to provide a "hotter" (temperature wise) version of a lobster meal, since I think that lobsters are a lot tastier when they are served hot. I think many people will agree with me on this. This was definitely fun to try but in order for me to buy another one next time/next year, they will need to be more creative.



(sorry for the late review, I had been extremely busy, I learned that McLobster actually ended on Aug. 23, 2013, I hope this can be reference for those who will get a chance to try it next year)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin